Monday, January 24, 2011

10 pounds later.......

I've gotta say, I'm finding the new Weight Watchers program very easy to follow.  My only issue is that it really does seem like I eat and eat and eat and STILL have points left at the end of the day.  Not a bad problem to have.

My exercise has gotten much better.  I try to do an hour every day - it's hit or miss sometimes, but the majority of the time it gets done.  I'm back to my Walk It Out obsession.  Love that game - you just walk around and build an island by unlocking buildings, routes, and music (your number of steps is what unlocks them).  It's great fun - especially for someone like me that is just getting back into the routine of exercise.

I also bought Just Dance for Kids this weekend for Toddler, thinking that we could dance together.  Boy was I wrong!!  She listened to the music and studied the moves, but will only dance if no one is in the room with her.  Alas, the only exercise I received from this was walking back and forth to the living room to select a new song for her......and now she has that figured out so she doesn't even need me for that!! However, I was able to sneak a video of her.  Those of you that are my pals on facebook should check it out.  It's the funniest thing - she's got this big smile on her face and then she turns around and sees me.  It's amazing how fast that smile disappeared! (ha ha)

Toddler spent the weekend at "Tee-Tee's" house.  I gave her the choice of chicken, fish, or shrimp for dinner (she loves all 3); of course, she picked shrimp (her favorite!).  So I created a little stir fry for us  - lots of yummy veggies and very healthy-living friendly!  Also, perfect for the dumper in me that still rebels at having to measure every little thing.

Dev's Shrimp Stir-Fry
1 lb raw shrimp
1 bag frozen yellow squash
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
8 oz fresh mushrooms
1 small onion
1 clove garlic, minced

Cook the onions and mushrooms over medium heat in a non-stick pan (I also used a little spritz of cooking spray).  Once onions are tender, add in the shrimp and cook until opaque (about 3 minutes).  I steamed the squash and broccoli in my microwave and and added them in after the shrimp was cooked through.  The garlic was added just before the sauce.

Make the sauce ahead of time and add to the pan once the garlic has been added.  Bring to a soft boil.

Sauce
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons organic cane sugar (could also use artificial sweetener)
1 tsp agave nectar (could also use honey)
dash of ground ginger
dash of cinnamon

Mix ahead of time. You could also use arrowroot (or cornstarch) to thicken. 

Makes 4-5 helpings (roughly 7 WWPP depending on which route you go)

Wish I had a picture.  It was quite tasty and little one was very happy!  The next morning, I made her homemade pancakes with strawberry syrup.  She declared me "The Best Cooker in the World!" :-)

I've been watching the new Hungry Girl show on the Cooking Channel (I love her cookbooks and emails) - after the first episode, I wasn't sure if I'd like the show or not, but I've kept at it and have gotten some great ideas.  I was going to make her HG Guilt-Free Brownie-Muffins (they look good and only consist of a box of devil's food cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree).  However, they weigh-in at a whopping 6 points each, so I'm not quite sure they're guilt-free enough for me!

Until next time!
Dev

3 comments:

Lori said...

Yay you!!

Aren't recipes where you can just dump in what you want instead of measuring perfect?

Dev said...

Lori - absolutely!!! I am and always will be a dumper at heart :-)

Isabel said...

What is walk it out? sounds interesting.