Saturday, February 19, 2011

Desperately Seeking John H. Schofield

I've been on a bit of a genealogy bender lately. Last night, I put my Lien tree on hiatus and started working on my Coe roots.  Phebe Desdemona Coe was born in Gustavus, Trumbull, Ohio and married John H. Schofield sometime before 1870.  My great-great-grandmother, Clarissa Francis Schofield was a product of that union.  However, something happened to Phebe and John by 1880, because Clara was living with her aunt, Frances Priscilla Coe and her husband, Henry S. Benedict.  I do not know when Phebe and John got married, I do not know when they died (or how or why), and for that matter, I don't know much about John Schofield either.  I do know he was born around 1834 in Manchester, England.  I've searched the 1841, 1851, and 1861 census records for England and may have a few leads - would love to be able to just go search in person.  Now wouldn't that be a trip: Manchester, England; Ontario, Michigan; Gustavus, Ohio; and  Vernon, Iowa.  It's times like these that I really wish I had a bank full of money so I could just journey out to research. In the meantime, I'll just depend on the kindness of strangers through the World GenWeb volunteers.  Would really love to knock down this brick wall.

No comments: